Spring means Easter, and Easter means bunnies. Here’s a quiz about the fuzzy kind – maybe we should do another one about the chocolate kind! Scroll down for answers.
1. There’s a rivalry between the world’s two largest rabbits named Ralph and Darius, both of whom live in the UK. How much do you think Ralph weighs (as of April 2013)?
- A. 35 pounds
- B. 45 pounds
- C. 55 pounds
- D. 65 pounds
2. True or False? A rabbit’s teeth are like a beaver’s – they never stop growing.
3. We’ve seen a bunny hop, but about how high can a rabbit really jump?
- A. 12 inches
- B. 18 inches
- C. 24 inches
- D. 36 inches
4. Which of these foods is should be the main source for rabbits in every day?
- A. Hay
- B. The specially formulated pellets from the pet store
- C. Carrots
- D. Lettuce
5. True or False? A rabbit is a great gift to put in a young child’s Easter basket.
6. People often talk about how rabbits have lots of litters. About how many litters can a wild rabbit have in a single season?
- A. 4-6
- B. 6-8
- C. 8-10
- D. 10-12
1. C. 55 pounds! Darius held the title at 50 pounds before Ralph bested him in 2013. Ralph is a 5-year old Continental Giant and comes from a long line of large rabbits (his mother also held the World’s Largest title). We wonder if this breed of bunnies was the inspiration for Wallace and Gromit’s The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.
2. True. Rabbits are chewing and gnawing almost all the time, often on some very tough food like twigs and braches, which keep the growth in check.
3. D. 36 inches – or higher, but that usually occurs when they are scared. The average jump height is about 12-18 inches.
4. A. Hay. Rabbits should eat a bundle of hay or grass each day that is as big as they are. The other foods are fine in small amounts but carrot tops are better for bunnies than the root. They should also have a just handful of leafy greens each day (kale and Brussels sprouts are better for them than carrots), and lots of water.
5. False. Rabbits are not good pets for small children. Tthey can bite and not all rabbits like to be held and cuddled. Older children might be better caretakers for rabbits as long as they understand they time (and costs) that go into a pet that will live for 10 or more years.
6. B. 6-8. At 1-14 baby bunnies per litter, that’s a lot of rabbits! Dr. Dana Kremples at the University of Miami Department of Biology did some math on this:
“If our “starter bunny” begins reproducing at six months of age (again, not an unreasonable estimate), and has babies for seven years, then by the end of the first year:
One mother rabbit x 3 female babies x 12 months = 36 female babies (plus your original mama makes 37). Let’s add the new babies to the reproductive population at the beginning of the following year. At that point, their average age would be six months–the time of their first litter. (This works if you consider this to be averaging the new females’ reproductive output.) If–starting at the beginning of Year Two — each of the Year One female rabbits produces an average of 3 female offspring per month, then by the
- End of Year Two:
- 37 mother rabbits x 3 female babies x 12 months = 1332 female babies
- (plus your original 37 will equal a total of 1369 total)
- End of Year Three:
- 1369 mother rabbits x 3 female babies x 12 months = 49,284 female babies
- (49,284 + last year’s 1369 = 50,653 total)
- End of Year Four:
- 50,653 x 3 x 12 months = 1,823,508 female babies
- (1,823,508 + last year’s 49,284 = 1,872,792 total)
- End of Year Five:
- 1,823,508 x 3 x 12 months = 67,420,512 female babies
- (67,420,412 + last year’s 1,872,792 = 69,293,304 total)
- End of Year Six:
- 69,293,304 x 3 x 12 months = 2,494,558,944 female babies
- (2,494,558,944 + last year’s 69,293,304= 2,563,852,248 total)
- Year Seven:
- 2,563,853,248 x 3 x 12 = 92,298,716,930 female babies
- (92,298,716,930 + last year’s 2,563,852,248 = 94,862,569,180!)
That’s nearly 95 billion female rabbits in seven years!”
And that’s just the females. If you add the males into the equation the grand total of rabbits produced by that first mama bunny and her descendants is 184,597,433,760!